Sunday, February 19, 2012

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff

Today's recipe comes from Kraft Foods website. My mother sent me an email with a bunch of their slow cooker recipes in it.

I decided to try this one. Hugely successful!!!

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff

1 lb. beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
10 oz fresh mushrooms, quartered
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1-1/2 cup beef broth
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
2 heaping TBSP flour
1 TBSP honey mustard
2 TBSP parsley
egg noodles

Mix the meat, mushrooms, onion, garlic, broth, paprika, salt & paprika in the slow cooker. Cook on Low for 7-8 hours or on High for 5 hours.

After it's cooked, stir in the sour cream, flour, mustard and parsley. Cook at least an additional 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the noodles as directed on the package.

Serve the beef mix on the noodles.

I didn't have an onion, so I used 1/4 cup Tastefully Simple Onion Onion. 1 TBSP honey mustard is tangy. I suggest you start with 1/2 TBSP and add more if you think it needs it. We really liked the tanginess, but it kind freaked me out while it was cooking because I thought it was too much. And I don't think the mushrooms do much for this recipe. Next time I'm just throwing in canned mushrooms. It's cheaper and I can stock pile on those. Next time, I'm using lite sour cream. I used regular because that's what we had leftover from Drew's last Tastefully Simple party. I didn't want to waste it.

Because I didn't start the crockpot soon enough, I went for the 5 hours on High cooking technique. I was freaking out after 3 hours because the meat looked done, but it was chewy. I swore after 5 hours it would be tough, but I let it keep going, deciding to trust the recipe. Thank god I did!!! By the time 5 hours was up, the meat was falling apart! It was so amazing!!!

FYI - I don't know one beef cut from the next. I know steak from hamburger, and that's about it. (Alton Brown would be really disappointed in me.) So I got the packaged beef stew meat from Aldi's because that's exactly what the recipe calls for. It's already chopped up and everything. I thought it was expensive at the time at $4.49 per pound, but this recipe will last us 3 meals, easily. So it's really not that expensive after all.