Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I made something edible???

Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god! I just had what is probably one of the best meals I've ever eaten. And I made it.

Let me repeat that for those of you that know me.

I made it.

It's Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken Chili. The recipe is lifted from Plain Chicken.
I adapted it slightly as I despise canned corn. Also, we don't have Rotel around here that I can find. I mean, I had to google what it was. I just used Weggie's version of diced tomatoes with green chilies instead.


Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken Chili

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
16 oz bag frozen corn
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis, undrained
1 package ranch dressing mix
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
8 oz package light cream cheese or neufchatel
2 chicken breasts, uncooked

Pour black beans, corn, tomatoes and dry seasonings into a crockpot. Stir. Add the chicken and push to the bottom. Place the cream cheese on top. Cover with a lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours. When done, stir it all up. You should be able to break the chicken up with the spoon while stirring.

Tip: I put everything in the crockpot the night before and tossed it in the fridge. The next morning before work I pulled it out and plugged it in.


And for once one of my meals looked EXACTLY like the picture. It was incredible!! Drew agreed, one of the best things ever made in a crockpot. And we'll get two meals out of it.

Hopefully I can find more fantastic recipes like that. Healthy, simple and super-yummy. I don't want to get back into the "order and go pick-up" eating habit. We've done really good not doing that since Christmas.