Friday, January 20, 2012

TGIF only makes sense at 5 pm

Well, it was a weird week. Lots of ups and downs. Nothing Earth-shattering, so that's good. A lot of people surprised me this week. I have very little insight into humans and their behavior. They never do what I expect them to. I'm either constantly in a state of disappointment or I'm pleasantly surprised. It's tiring.

I never really intended for this blog to be my daily internet diary, but it's kind of turned out that way. It was originally designed to just post some pics of cats and cards, and to give my family a little update on my life. Most of them live quite far away from me now. But my recent declaration to better my life thru diet, exercise and a healthy, positive attitude has prompted me to want to chronicle it all down in these little blog posts. Another large factor in doing this are the good friends I have that are doing the same thing, although thru different methods. It seems the more we share, the more we learn, the more we want to do better. It's encouraging, motivating and I don't feel alone in this huge struggle. And some days it is a struggle.

Take today. I was quite peeved this morning to have to get up and exercise. It was going to be my day off. But I'd gained last week. So I pushed my fat arse up and got on the treadmill. I was determined to do better, so I added a tenth of a mile jog to my walking routine. I figured a tenth of a mile was a good start and I would increase it a tenth each week. I may be fooled by other people's behavior, but never my own. I know I needed to start small.

Wow. Was I ever stunned when I not only did it, but I did it without too much of a fuss. And I did it at a much faster pace than I expected to. Did I keep going and try for 2/10 of a mile? No. If I had decided to go for two and failed I would have been extremely disappointed. I had made my goal for the day and I was thrilled. Leave it at that.

That got me thinking about what Jason suggested yesterday. That my weight gain could be attributed to muscle gain. I'd always figured that to gain muscle, you had to burn a lot of fat. After discussing this further with him today and doing a little research online, that's not really true. Between the standing at work and my walking on the treadmill, I was gaining muscle. Today's jog proved that. My legs weren't wobbly or sore afterwards like they often are when I do an intense workout. I'm not sure if they should be. But I do know that what I'm doing is right for me because I'm enjoying it and I'm sticking with it, so I'm not gonna mess with it.

And on another positive note, Drew did C25K Week2 Day2 tonight. YAY!!! I do try to encourage him as well. And not just by saying, "Get your ass on that treadmill." I'm, like, nice...and stuff. :)