Saturday, March 31, 2012

Super-Long Post For My Own Fun

Now that the first quarter of the year is over, let's recap.
 - January was awesome.  I found a healthy eating and exercise regime I could live with.  I lost weight and I was in great spirits.
 - February wasn't so good.  Somewhere along the way I lost the will to give-a-shite and it all went downhill.
 - March was god awful.  I was sick every other day.  If it wasn't one of those bloody headaches, it was something else.  Spirits were at an all-time low again.  At the beginning of the last week in March I had a stomach bug that was so bad I spent the evening in the living room, curled up next to Drew, watching him play Diablo II.  For one of the first times in my life, I didn't eat dinner.  (Yes, it was that bad.)

But then something odd happened.  On Thursday, March 29th, I woke up feeling good.  Not just good, but fantastic!  I don't know why.  I hadn't done anything different.  I didn't eat anything different.  I didn't take anything before bed.  I have no idea.  I still had a bit of a headache, but I was energized and happy.  WTH????

I felt so good that entire day that I set my alarm early at night.  On Friday I got up and got on the treadmill for the first time in a while.  And you know what?  I stayed happy and peppy that whole day too!  After work I cleaned the kitchen and made dinner.  I hadn't cooked in a long time.  It was super yummy low-fat chicken chili!  In fact, now that I think about it, I ate healthy all day long!  Awesome!

This morning...woke up with a hideous headache.  Not sure why.  I think I was dehydrated.  Got up and took some pain meds with a huge glass of water.  Got my yogurt, protein bar and coffee for breakfast.  Balanced my budget and decided I needed to go grocery shopping.  No better time than 9 am on Saturday to hit Aldi's.  I tossed the bags into the back of the car and head out for the store.

I love Aldi's, but I hate to grocery shop.  Happy-me decided that the best way to get thru today was to just be calm and shop at my own leisure.  We're not rushing thru this; that will only stress me out.  Besides, I don't have anything else pressing to do today.  It's Saturday.  Drew's over at Ginny & Larry's putting in a new kitchen floor.  So it's just me.  La-dee da-da phlebt.

Holy canoli!  It worked.  I LOVED SHOPPING TODAY!!!!  LOVED IT!!!  I think that's one of the biggest signs that I'm happier and healthier and psyched about life.  When I love to grocery shop!  I love looking for the hidden bargains and finding healthy options.

Here's some things I found that made today great:



I dispise paying out the nose for Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Mix, but I have a lot of recipes that call for it.  I usually just substitute Fit & Active Light Ranch instead.  It's not the same thing, but it works - kind of.  Well, Aldi's finally came out with their own version.  $0.69 a packet.  Half the price!  YAY!!!!  I'm not even concerned that it might not taste as good because I've used a lot of Stonemill products and have loved them all.  I have faith this won't let me down!

Drew & I love Crockpot Chicken.  That's when you take a whole chicken and throw it in the crockpot on low for a whole day.  (Thank you Sister Becky for that tip!)  It comes out falling off the bone!  Normally we eat the leg and thighs, then save the breasts for chicken salad the next day.  It's only $0.85 a pound!  Most of the chickens are 5-6 lbs, which is about $4.25-$5.00.  A bargain!  Today I found a small one, which is perfect for the two of us.



When I'm excited and happy, my voice rises.  Not in volume, but in octaves.  Usually about three octaves.  When I'm making cards, dogs in my neighborhood go, "Huh?"  Today, the dogs lost bladder control.

IT'S BACK!!!!!  SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



This is without a doubt one of our favorite meals.  Jambalaya from Cajun Cook'n.  Easy and quick to make, and super-duper delicious.  If I had a separate freezer (which Drew insists we need & which I insist we have no room for), I'd fill it with these.  We love these.  And they're not bad on the diet.  In fact, they're healthy compared to most frozen-meal-in-the-bag products.  I've tried to make my own Jambalaya and it doesn't even come close to this.  I'm am so psyched this is back.

By the time I was done shopping, my headache was gone.  Somewhere between the cream of chicken soup and fresh asparagus it had gone away.  I didn't even notice until I got home.

Oh.  And just for fun...the world's greatest pork chops...



Have A Happy Second-Quarter 2012 Everyone!
~Steph