Thursday, August 16, 2012

Twitter? Really?

One of the big rules when trying to get published is to be involved in all social networks.  Facebook, forums, blogs, etc..  Twitter is a biggie.

I've had a Twitter account for a couple of years.  I got it mostly because I liked to read Conan O'Brien's comments after he was ousted from The Tonight Show.  There were a few other people I liked to follow: Stephen Fry, Russell Brand, Simon Pegg.  (It's no coincident they're all British.  This was during my "Obsessed with Top Gear" pre-midlife crisis.)

Last night I logged into my Twitter account for the first time in over a year.  I added a few people to follow: Ellen Degeneres, um...ok, I only remember Ellen right now.  I'm sure the others were just as entertaining.  But I was quickly reminded why I stopped using Twitter.  It sucks.  It's like live blogging with millions of people who are incredibly boring.  Or Facebook without being asked to donate a cow or a plank of wood to someone's Farmville.  I can't imagine I have anything to add to the Twitter community that will be any better.

After giving up on the idea of finding my fanbase via Twitter, especially since I had all of 14 followers, I went back to working on Book #2 instead.

This morning I had an email.

Stephanie Deal, you have a new follower on Twitter.

Really?  Who?  *Click*

A Miley Cyrus look-a-like from a very explicitly named sex website.  Great.

Well, it could have been worse.  It could have been Miley Cyrus.  I'd have even less to tweet to her about.