Saturday, April 14, 2012

Bowflex - Day 1

Continuing on my battle against hoarding, I cleaned out the upstairs front room.  This is the junk room.  It's a large storage space for Drew's tools and spare furniture that hasn't made it's way to the curb yet. (We're waiting for summer when the curb trolls are out looking for free junk to swipe.)  Because this room has a super high ceiling, it's also where the Bowflex is.

Due to the fact that there is no heating in this room whatsoever (and we're pretty sure there's no insulation either) this room is unbearable in the winter.  It's not just cold, it's freezing.  You go in there on a thirty degree day...and it's thirty degrees.  I'm not exaggerating.  But the weather is now decent, so the room is quite nice.

After cleaning up the space, which was surprisingly more clean than I expected, I decided it was time to put the Bowflex to use.  First, I got out the handy-dandy workout poster and clipped it to a piece of foam board so it stays up but is mobile at the same time.  Then I downloaded the user's guide, printed it and clipped it into a notebook.  And finally, I made a chart.  It's kind of like the chart they give you in the Nautilus Room at the YMCA.  It lists the exercises, the weight, # of reps and the date.  So I can keep track of where I am.  Also, because I will never remember in a million damn years what the heck I'm supposed to be doing.

Here's my fancy-schmancy setup.



I had made the chart a while ago when I was all psyched about exercising, then it just got set aside like so many other things I get psyched about for two or three minutes.  But Jason's exercise logs inspired me to dig it out and put it to good use.  It's hard to see, but I did fill it out today.

Now, I don't have to do this, but I'm going to.  I'm going to admit I'm an idiot.  I have a user's guide.  I have a very easy to read and follow poster.  And I still did it wrong!  You're only supposed to do one round of 8-12 repetitions of each exercise.  I did three rounds of 8-12 repetitions of more exercises.  Because I'm a dork and I cannot follow simple instructions.  I was so focused on setting up the machine properly that I misread the instructions.  HAHA!  So I got one helluva workout today!  I know I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.  I didn't overdo it though.  I know that if I do I won't do it again.  So I will be back Monday after work on the Bowflex.  I did read and will follow the instruction that says to do this three days a week, skipping a day between workouts.  I didn't miss that!

My new exercise schedule will be:
   Monday - AM Treadmill, PM Bowflex
   Tuesday - AM Treadmill
   Wednesday - AM Treadmill, PM Bowflex
   Thursday - AM Treadmill
   Friday - AM Treadmill
   Saturday - AM Bowflex
   Sunday - Whatever I want!  So back off!

My treadmill workout is 30 minutes doing whatever I want.  Mostly walk at a pretty quick clip.  I discovered that I hate running and when I even think about having to do it, I get nauseous.  There's some past relationship issues working in there that are the reason for that.  I won't go into it, but I decided that if I don't want to run, I won't.  The anxiety about that is now gone and I'm happy walking on my treadmill again.  If I do decide to change that up, then it'll be because I feel like it.  Not because of obligation.  So, na-na-na-na boo-boo, stick your head in doo-doo.

I also have a set of Before pictures.  Unlike Jason, I'm not showing it to you.  Sometimes I just gotta be a girl and say, "No way!  I look so fat and ugly!"  Doesn't happen often that I show some kind of femininity.  That's about as close as it gets.

But I do have another picture for you!!



Bowflex with potty chair.

You're welcome.