Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Adventures of Butterball: The Great Race XXXVI

* The Adventures of Butterball are true stories about my *
* trials and tribulations as a stupid fat girl.  Enjoy! *


This week wasn't a great week for me. My back was hurting so much that I made the decision to put off the workouts, hoping the soreness would heal. It didn't. So not only did I not workout this week but my back is still incredibly sore and my diet went all the heck also. 

I'm not gonna whine about it or make up excuses. The fact was I felt like crap and decided to give it a break. The fact that my doctor told me not to expect to see significant changed for MONTHS, did not help. But she was uber supportive and encouraged me to keep doing it because there are obvious benefits to it.

Oh, and my yearly labwork came back normal. Completely normal. As in, cholesterol was good, thyroid was good, sugar was good. Everything = good. No fat diseases. No not-fat diseases. I'm sure that would come as a huge shock to anyone who's ever seen me. I'm sure they're thinking, "Come on! You at least have to be pre-diabetic." Nope. Not even close. So shove it, racist.

There's not weigh-in for this week, not because I was being lazy, but Thursday night I went out with my co-workers to Spaghetti Warehouse for the Murder Mystery Dinner. It was a lot of fun! So glad we went. But it meant not going to the church for my weekly meeting and missing out on getting weighed in. I'll weigh-in next week.

But not to worry. I'll be back on it next week, repeating the week I partially skipped. No big deal.

Meanwhile, it's time to do something stupid. Like...join a Great Race team. 

Some of you might remember that I kayaked in Great Race XXXIII. The other members of my team were Drew on bike and Jason was our runner. This year is Great Race XXXVI and Kate will be on bike and Jason again will be the runner. We're very excited about it. I won't reveal our team name yet as it does require the cartoon logo for full appreciation and we've yet to create it.

This morning Drew took the new CRV to Honda to have a roof rack installed. Then we hooked up the new kayak racks I got on good sale at Amazon. And Tada!!! Two kayaks to go. Mine still has my Great Race XXXIII stickers on it!


We went out today about noon. The weather was near perfect for kayaking. The sun was out and there was a slight breeze. There was only one other person on the lake and that was a woman who admitted she'd just dragged her kayak out from under the deck to give it a test run.

We did 2 miles in 35 minutes. When I did the race in 2010, it took me 44 minutes. It's worth pointing out that it was an extremely windy day on the lake that year, creating choppy waters. So bad that they cut the long course of four miles down to two. I actually finished 310 out of 389. Not bad for a drowning fat chick. Last year, 310th place finished in 37 minutes. That's just shows how awful the water was in 2010. Most racers said it was the worst weather they'd ever competed in.

I think 35 minutes is a good start. By the time we were done, my shoulders were a bit sore but my arms and core were doing great. I even stopped once to let Drew catch up. Yes, Drew was dying out there. (I've got a big frickin' grin right now.) My goal is to get under 30 minutes. That should put me in the middle of the pack.

So I guess the workouts really do make all the difference in the world. Hoping to go out tomorrow kayaking as well, then a little bit of jogging on the treadmill. Monday morning more jogging. Monday night is yoga class. Then Tuesday I'm back into TapouT XT with kayaking after work, weather permitting. And so on and so forth. Gotta get back into shape. I part of a team now and I don't want to let anyone down. Especially myself.