Monday, February 11, 2013

Rice Pasta with Peppers & Chicken Sausage

The fact that every other person on this planet seems to be allergic to some food has a positive benefit. The gluten, soy, dairy and sugar-free food industries are making some really fantastic alternatives now-a-days. Actually, there's nothing alternative about it.  It's still food. It's just food made from things you aren't used to.

Like brown rice pasta.  Specifically Tinkyada's Brown Rice Pasta.  It cooks up the same way as wheat pasta.  It looks like wheat pasta.  And it tastes like wheat pasta.  Sometimes non-wheat pasta can be mushy.  Tinkyada's is not.  It's actually pretty good and you can't tell the difference.

Laat night I made a dish that I liked so much I thought I'd write it down here.  As much to share with others as for me to remember.  I look up more recipes from my own blog than I do my recipe book.

Rice Pasta with Peppers & Chicken Sausage

1 package Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta Vegetable Spirals
2 package Wegmans' Apple & Onion Chicken Sausage
1 package tri-colored peppers (1 red, 1 orange, & 1 yellow)
1 onion
2 TBSP Stonybrook Delicata Squash Seed Oil

Slice the peppers into strips.  Dice the onions.  Saute both in vegetable oil.  I cook mine until they burn in the pan.  I would have roasted them ahead of time, if I'd thought of it.  Cook up the sausage, cut into pieces, and add to the peppers & onion.  Cook up the pasta & drain.  Mix everything together, drizzle a couple tablespoons of squash seed oil over the top.  Toss & serve.

If I hadn't been forced to eat gluten-soy-dairy-sugar-free, I never would have tried this recipe.  And that would be a shame, because this is really good.  And Drew loves it too.  What he loves more that I because I do the majority of the cooking now to make sure it's something I can eat.  (Lucky b'tard!)