Saturday, February 23, 2013

Creamy Piggy Taco Crock Pot Soup

I created a recipe based on other successful crock pot recipes I've made.  To our amazement, it was freakin' good!

Creamy Piggy Taco Crock Pot Soup

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 packet taco seasoning
1 can Rotel cheap knock-off tomatoes, mostly drained
4 frozen thin-sliced boneless pork chops
4 oz lite cream cheese
1 bag frozen cauliflower
shredded cheddar cheese & sour cream (optional)

In a small crock pot (2.5-3.5 quart), mix soup, seasoning and tomatoes.  Add pork chops, pushing to the bottom of the crock pot so they're mostly covered.  Toss the cream cheese on top.  Cook on Low for 6-8 hours.  Stir the soup.  If the pork doesn't break up while stirring, pull it out and chop it up, then stir it back in.  Sometime mine does and sometimes it doesn't, but the meat is always done in 6 hours.  Heat the cauliflower as directed on the package and stir into the soup.  Serve in bowls.  Optional:  Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top with a dollop of sour cream.

Serves: 3-4 people

Note:  As most of you know, you can use whatever cream-of soup you want.  If you substitute chicken, I wouldn't suggest more than 2 frozen boneless breasts, unless you double the recipe. Chicken boobs now-a-days are the size of Kardashian implants.  Use any frozen veggies you want.  My current addiction is cauliflower.  I add it at the end because I find cooking it all day in the crock pot turns it to mush.  I hate that.  So I just nuke it and add before eating.  I gotta have my veggies and this makes my soup a meal!

Theoretically speaking I shouldn't be eating this at all.  It's got diary products.  But we've noticed there's certain things that don't bother me as much.  This is one of them.  Honestly, this entire recipe was created to use up the 1/2 block of cream cheese that was in the fridge.  It was a leftover from one of Drew's Tastefully Simple parties.  I should have tossed it in the trash.  I tossed it in the crock pot instead.  Glad I did.  This was uber-yummy.  I'd try this recipe next time with non-dairy soups and fake cream cheese but those things scare the bejeezus out of me.  Some things you just have to say, "Yeah, no, I'll eat the evil dairy stuff instead.  Thanks."  Most non-dairy stuff is made of soy anyway and I'm more allergic to that than milk.

Ok.  I'm done rambling.  Have a good weekend!!!

Coming up later:  A look at last night's card swap!