Thursday, February 14, 2013

Perfect Crock Pot Roast

I can't tell you how many times I've been writing or cleaning or fighting with a cat on a Saturday afternoon and gone, "Dang nabbit!  I was supposed to put a roast in the crock pot this morning!!  Well, I guess I'll make it tomorrow."  Today I discovered how to do a roast in 4-5 hours.  And do it perfectly.

This recipe is really for two people.  But I imagine it could be tweaked for more.  I find that cooking time in a crock pot between a small roast and a big one isn't that much different.  That's the beauty of it.  You can always Google it too.

I had bought a cheap 3-pound roast from Aldi's this week, cut it in half, and froze each piece.  I took one piece and made the below...

Perfect Crock Pot Roast

1/2 cup beef broth
1-1/2 pound roast, frozen
1 package dry brown gravy mix
2 TBSP Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic (or chopped garlic)
2 TBSP Tastefully Simple Onion Onion (or minced onion)

Pour the broth into the crock pot.  I used my 2-1/2 quart Wilma Flintstone Memorial Crock Pot.  Add the roast.  Sprinkle the rest of the ingredients over the roast.  Cook on High for 2-1/2 hours, then cook on Low for 2 to 2-1/2 hours.  Devour.

This does not make a lot of juice in the bottom, but Drew and I doing care for the juice.  I find it too fatty.  We're not huge fans of gravy anyway.

UPDATE  I've been asked what kind of meat I bought.  It was the cheapest chuck roast at Aldi's.  Also, this doesn't make the kind of roast beef that you slice up.  This makes a yummy, moist roast that falls apart at the pull of a fork.  Lip-smacking good!