Monday, June 3, 2013

Tortellini Bacon Broccoli Salad


Another awesome recipe. So simple to make. I had a request to post this after I served it at a party recently. I put my little notes in ( ).

Tortellini Bacon Broccoli Salad

20 oz package refrigerated cheese tortellini (Wegman's brand is amazing!)
1 lb bacon, cooked and chopped into ½” pieces
4 cups chopped broccoli (2 broccoli crown bunches)
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
1 cup bottle coleslaw dressing (Again, Wegmans brand is the bomb! And I use the whole bottle.)

1. Cook the tortellini according to the package directions, drain, rinse with cold water, and refrigerate until cool, about 30 minutes. (I dump mine in a bowl and toss with about a cup of white vinegar. It helps keep it separated and the pasta absorbs some of it, giving it extra zing.)

2. Once the tortellini is chilled, put all ingredients together in a huge bowl. (I don’t drain any of the extra vinegar from the pasta. It works well with this recipe, so just dump the entire pasta & vinegar mix into the bowl.)  Toss until the dressing has coated the ingredients. Chill.

Note: This salad will keep excellently in the refrigerator for several days.