Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sundays are my new favorite day

I never thought I'd say that.  Normally I detest Sunday because the next day is Monday.  But I've grown to love Sunday.

Yesterday I made up a huge batch of White Chicken Chili and froze it.  Today I've got a crock pot full of...

Slow Cooker Queso Soup

1 lb hot poultry sausage, cooked & crumbled
2 TBSP dried minced onion flakes
1 TBSP Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
4 cups (32 oz) low-sodium chicken broth
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can Rotel, undrained
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can green chilis
8 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
4 oz lite cream cheese

Throw everything in a crock pot on Low.  Cook until you can't take the smell anymore and have to eat it.  Or 6-8 hours.

Adapted from plainchicken.com


The recipe called for two cans of Rotel, but I only had one, so I added the diced tomatoes and green chilis instead.  It's the same thing.  The recipe also called for coriander, which I didn't have.  Not sure it needs it.  Didn't seem to be missing anything.  

This is spicy. If you're sensitive just use regular diced tomatoes instead of Rotel, mild sausage instead of hot, and cut back on the amount of spice used.  That's all.

I debated buying the 2% Velveeta, but I'd never used it so I wasn't sure how it rated compared to regular.  Considering I was at Target and they only carry Velveeta in 32 oz bricks, I decided to get regular instead of being left with a lot of sub-par cheese.  Or "cheese".  Honestly, I cringe at the thought of using Velveeta, but it's Queso.  It's pretty much mandatory.  The recipe only calls for 8 oz anyway.  It's a soup, not a dip.

Oh yeah.  This is killer awesome good!!!!!


Later I'm making a Spinach Alfredo with Wegman's Wine & Cheese Sausage.  Uber yummy.  I'm a dirty-minded housewife.

Why dirty-minded???

BECAUSE I'M BACK WRITING THE BOOK!!!!

I decided to force myself to write something for the book.  Next think you know ideas are running around in my head.  YAY!!!!!!  And no, not all of them are dirty.  Just some.