Saturday, October 3, 2015

Hello October!

It's my favorite month of the year... October!! I love the chill in the air. I don't necessarily like that we've had to turn the furnace on already, but it's still better than the humidity of summer.

I haven't been a very good blogger this year. I've been really busy and it's always on the tip of my brain when I'm doing something that it'll make for a good post. I'm sure eventually I will post about my summer adventures. I very rarely ever posted things in chronological order any way. Let's do a little bit of catch-up on the small things.

You may have noticed that I changed the look of the blog. I was getting tired of the dark red. I will likely change the photo at the top depending on the season/holiday. 

So, here's some craftiness you might have missed...

I haven't made a lot of cards. I liked this super yummy design I found on Silhouette's website.


Witches' Hats and Pumpkins are very popular this year. Stacey surprised me with a pumpkin and hat she picked up and we had a crafty afternoon decorating them. It only cost us two Fs and two GDs.

When judging the difficulty of our projects, we use the F system. As in, how many times did you say "fuck" before you were done. And Stacey throws it out there like a proper pirate. 

I tend to say "goddammit." I learned that word from my grandmother. It was her favorite swear word. RIP...goddammit.


Stacey went with her favorite color -- purple.


I make an orange one, because that's what I had ribbon for. When I went looking for items to decorate with, I was quite surprised to find my Halloween craft selection a bit sparse. How did that happen???

My girlfriend Kelly bought her own hat and painted it. She asked if I'd decorate it. Thankfully she also bought the ribbon and feather sticks too.


These are so much fun to do!

I found a paper mache cauldron at Joanns a few weeks ago. I had an idea in mind and I ran with it. 

The result was fairly close to the finished project in my mind...


Not all projects turn out well. For weeks... WEEKS!... I scoured for inexpensive plastic/foam pumpkins to make decorations I'd seen on the internet. All kinds of wonderful designs that were beginning to be recreated on my craft island. But those fake pumpkins are expensive. Even with a coupon, I can't justify the cost when it's for something I don't really need.

I did find some little foam pumpkins in the Dollar Tree. I cut them in half, painted them, and mounted them onto my picture frame. The result was... well... not great.


It's very colorful! The flower is very pretty! The pumpkin is buried. Unrecognizable really. This isn't the first time I've had a crafting fail. Just one of the few times I've shown anyone. Maybe if I scaled down the flowers too...

No time to think about that now! We're into October. Time to start the Xmas cards!

~Steph