Sunday, January 20, 2013

Slow Cooker Applesauce

I have a Stampin' Up workshop coming up Tuesday and I wanted to try out a couple new crock pot recipes ahead of time to make sure they were suitable for public consumption.  I tried to make Apples Compote in a crock pot, but the apples got too soft and my spices didn't blend as I expected.  It was really odd.  I had spots of cinnamon and nutmeg stuck to the apples even after many, many hours of them stewing in their own juices.  Weird.  

I decided not to make it for the party but at the same time I didn't want to waste what I'd cooked.  So I turned it into Applesauce.  Drew and I both agreed that that was probably one of my best ideas ever.  It was soooooooooooooo yummy.


Slow Cooker Applesauce

6 apples, sliced up
6 packets Stevia or 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice

Mix all ingredients in a crock pot.  Cook on low 6-8 hours.  Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor.  Pulverize!  Chill!  Eat!


I used Red Delicious apples, because that's what was in my fridge.  Generally Red Delicious are not great baking apples.  It worked okay as applesauce.  I will probably do this next time with Honey Crisp (my favorite!) and cut back on the Stevia by 2 packets, and cut the cinnamon and nutmeg back a pinch hoping the apples will provide more flavor themselves.  This is a very spicy, but ice cold from the fridge it makes the best snack.

Additionally, I didn't peel them.  I don't mind the peel.  It's mostly broken up when I put it in the blender anyway.  Once in a while I had to chew, but I like it!