Monday, September 1, 2014

Labor Day 2013 on the Niagara Wine Trail

Every Holiday we have off from work during good weather seasons, we like to go to the wineries. This year we traveled around the Cayuga Lake Wine Trail on Saturday with Stacey and her sister Shelly. I have no pictures from that trip. Just a hilarious memory of an 80+ year old woman in the bathroom at Americana saying very loudly to her friend, "My fingers smell like a Cuban!" Thankfully I was already in the stall and on the toilet or I would have peed my pants. 

{{{Incidently, a Cuban is a sandwich on the Americana Cafe menu. I know because I ate a Cuban for lunch too. Tee hee hee hee hee. Still funny.}}}

Instead, I've decided to post about the trip we took last year on Labor Day. Apparently I never did. It was the first time we'd been on this trail, so I took lots of pictures.

DISCLAIMER: Stacey gave me permission to do this. Drew doesn't really have a choice. 

The Niagara Wine Trail
Labor Day 2013


The Winery at Marjim Manor is apparently haunted and was featured on the TV show "Ghost Hunters."

 We didn't see any ghosts, but we did see lots of wine!!!!

Stacey and I insist that Drew make these!!

Haven't tasted a thing yet and already Stacey's smiling. It's going to be a good day!!


The gift shop area had some really REALLY neat items. I wish I'd taken closer pictures. They had stemless wine glasses and a decanter with a Black Widow Spider painted on them. I don't like spiders AT ALL, but it was really cool!

We did the wine & chocolate pairing, which was really neat. Loved this winery and will go back again.
  

The wines here were fantastic, which I hate to admit because the chick pouring the wine was a BLEEP! Completely miserable. Lucky for the winery, the older woman who checked us out was super nice. We talked with her for a while. Her and the excellent wines made up for the cranky witch doing the servings. We would go here again, but would NOT do a tasting with her.

Chateau Niagara Winery
I have no picture of the sign or building because both looked kind of...rednecky. We almost passed on going into the metal barn for a wine tasting. I'm soooooo glad we didn't, because this was one of our favorite stops. This gentlemen (forgot his name!) was hilarious! He gave us the history of the Niagara Wine Trail. We loved the Ala Mode wine and left with a few bottles each! A fantastic place! A definite "must go-to" on future trips.





A very nice winery with lots to look at! I would compare them to Swedish Hill. Or Knapp. Lots of fun wines!!

This was the one we were all waiting for!!!!


Don't be fooled. She loves the paparazzi!

Gust of Sun has a second floor for reading and lounging. We'd read about this on their website and we decided if we lived in the area, we'd probably spend a lot of time up here. There's books to borrow. We could have writer's meetings up here! I think it's a fantastic place!!

This is one of the owner's dogs. They live next door and you can play with them through the fence. Funny little creatures.

Gust of Sun had a huge tent and tables/chairs setup behind the winery. They were planning for a wedding the next day. We asked if we could eat the picnic lunch we've packed back there. They told us definitely. We bought a couple bottles of wine from them and enjoyed a charming lunch. 
And then it rained. 
Nay, it stormed. Bad! Horizontal rain was coming into the tent forcing us to run around looking for dry spots. The owners laughed at us from the safety and dryness of the winery while we huddled in the middle of the tent, laughing our own fool drunk asses off. (Truth be told, Drew was sober. But still laughing.) The storm only lasted a few minutes and created a hilarious fond memory of an awesome winery.


I don't remember this fair lass's name either, but she told us stories about dressing up as a pirate for a winery event. Turns out she was the only adult that dressed up. We promised to return for the event in our pirate regalia too. None of us remembered. Poopy.

Lots and lots of wines!!! All very good. Similar to Americana.

This is...um...let me check the website...Freedom Run?  Drew?! Is this Freedom Run?! Yes, he says it is.

Pretty glass! Very Chihuly-esque.

A sitting area with tables. Drew says I really liked the wines here too. I have to take his word for it.
 
  Dog!!  I think this was at Arrowhead Spring Vineyards. But I'm not sure. I just remember it was a winery with a bunch of weird hippies. Not the staff. Other wine tasters. It was bizarre. Will go there again...because I don't remember anything but the dog. We played frisbee with this dog for about a half hour. I have over fifty pictures of him. Seriously. We loved this dog.



And the last winery (that I have any recollection of) is Leonard Oakes. Here's what I know about it...

Stacey and I were obsessed with his metal decoration over the doorway. We stared at it for a long time. I took three pictures of it. I'm still kind of obsessed with it.

And the other thing...I really really really really liked their wines. I found a Case Club Member card in my purse the next day. To my credit, every single bottle from that case has been amazing. My taste when I'm inebriated is apparently phenomenal.

So, in closing, the Niagara Lake Wine Trail was a blast!!!! We were shocked at the number of wineries they have. Good wineries. There were only a couple that I would never go back to. I haven't mentioned them here because I really don't like to spread negativity on my blog. (Except that little snot at Schulze's. I only mentioned her as a public service announcement to warn other tasters.) But a lot of wine tasting comes down to your own personal taste. What I might not like, you might. I would rather inform, than review.

~ Steph